Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Parent Communication 101

Parent Communication is so imperative in today's education. Need to send them a quick reminder about an upcoming test? You can do that! Want to inform them of bad behavior? Yup, got it covered. How about those times when you need to inform of GOOD behavior? We can do that!

I'm here to tell you about two of the ways I communicate with my families.
In my classroom, we utilize ClassDojo on a daily basis. If you look back at this post, you'll see that I am a big advocate for ClassDojo for classroom management purposes. But, what's also amazing about this {FREE} program is the chat component!

I am able to message my parents in an instant, and they are able to message me right back - the good thing is, regardless of the time of day!! If they need clarification on a point loss or point gain, homework assignments, upcoming tests, or field trip information - I'm there!!

I love that I am able to get the messaging feature from my phone, the computer, or my iPad. I could be in California and get the information from my parents at a moment's notice!

The only negative about this program is the only way to connect parents is for them to have an e-mail address. At the school I am at, many of my parents don't have an e-mail address. Therefore, I have about 17 out of 25 parents connected... but that's okay! CUE THE NEXT COMMUNICATION TOOL!
This is my first year using Remind in the classroom. I didn't use it last year because I wasn't really liking the idea of giving out my phone number. BUT you don't have to do that!! With Remind, your parents don't get your phone number. Instead, they get a short number to text with any information they need or want to know/want to tell!

If I'm having any issues, I can quickly send a "text" to my parents, either whole class or specific parents, to alert them. If I just wanted to send a quick, easy, nice message - I can do that, too!! I love Remind for the fact that messages have to be concise. 140 characters or less. Just like Twitter!

LOVE.
Happy Back-to-School time, pals!!

-Sara-

No comments:

Post a Comment