Saturday, August 9, 2014

Building Relationships with Students and Families

Hi Friends! Welcome to the Elementary Grapevine!
I am so thrilled and honored to be a part of this new collaborative blog and am excited to work alongside all of these talented bloggers to bring  YOU new ideas, resources, and of course some fun freebies!

My name is Courtney and I am the blogger behind Teaching in Paradise



As most of you may know, I live and teach in the beautiful state of Hawaii. I am currently teaching 3rd grade on the island of O’ahu. I have already started my 5th year teaching (summer was way too short), my first year being the Grade Level Chair, and a District Level Mentor Teacher!! I am excited for these new responsibilities as I continue to learn and grow in my teaching career! This past summer, I married the love of my life and my very best friend! Our wedding day was literally the best day of our lives! I do not have any children, except for my doggy daughter ;) 

This is Kiani. I swear she is part human- she totally lets me dress her up and do ridiculous things like make her wear glasses! lol

My back to school tip is that it is very important to build strong and positive relationships with your students and parents in order to have a successful school year. Students need to know that you care about them and parents need to know that you have their child's best interest at heart. One way I like to begin building these relationships is by sending a postcard home over the summer introducing myself to the child. I give a little information about myself, then invite them to meet me and drop off their school supplies. I also make sure to let them know how excited I am to have them in my class and what a fun and exciting year I have planned for us. Students are THRILLED to receive mail (this is the first time for many of them) and they come in extra excited to meet me.

In the past I have always purchased the 'Welcome to 3rd Grade' Postcards from the education stores. It usually took me an entire week to get all my postcards handwritten. This year, I was short on time so I decided to create these postcards and type my letters to students.


With 28 students, this was a total time saver! I hope that you can use these postcards to send a little joy to your future students. I have created postcards for 1st grade-6th grade. You can get these editable postcards for FREE in my TpT Store

This side is editable for your convenience. You will need to print these pages double-sided. 

Thank you soo much for stopping by to 'meet' me today. For more ideas, tips, and freebies please follow me on my blog Teaching in Paradise, my Facebook page, Instagram, and TpT . 

No comments:

Post a Comment